Projectile Motion with System of Masses and Spring
This is the simulation of the motion of two masses m and m1 situated at the ends of a spring of length L0 and negligible mass. The motion is restricted to two spatial dimensions, with the y-axis representing the vertical (if gravity is switched on).
We use Hooke's law for the spring force, and include a damping term that is proportional to the difference of the velocities of the masses on both ends of the spring.
Applying Newton's Second Law yields a second-order ordinary differential equation, which we solve numerically in the simulation and visualise the results.
- Drag the red mass to impart an initial velocity, and see how the system evolves.
- Observe what happens when you do the same, but with gravity switched on.
- Try changing the relative mass of the blue ball, and notice how the centre of gravity shifts.
- Try varying the spring constant and/or the damping coefficient while the simulation runs.
|with best with||Chrome||Chrome||Chrome||Chrome|
|support full-screen?||Yes. Chrome/Opera No. Firefox/ Samsung Internet||Not yet||Yes||Yes|
Wolfgang Christian; Francisco Esquembre; Zhiming Darren TAN
- http://www.compadre.org/Physlets/mechanics/illustration3_4.cfm Illustration 3.4: Projectile Motion by W. Christian and M. Belloni
- http://physics.weber.edu/amiri/director-dcrversion/newversion/airresi/AirResi_1.0.html Trajectory of a ball with air resistance by Farhang Amiri
- http://www.walter-fendt.de/html5/phen/projectile_en.htm HTML5 version of Projectile Motion by Walter Fendt
- http://www.compadre.org/OSP/items/detail.cfm?ID=7299&S=7 Ejs Intro 2DMotionLab Model by Anne Cox, Wolfgang Christian, and Mario Belloni
- http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=623.0 Projectile motion with equations by Fu-Kwun Hwang
- http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=1832.0 Airdrag by Fu-Kwun Hwang and ahmedelshfie
- http://archive.geogebra.org/en/upload/files/english/lewws/basketballsimulation_counterspeed_simulationspeed_updated1r.html Simulation of BasketBall Throw by Lew W. S.
There are no testimonials available for viewing. Login to deploy the article and be the first to submit your review!
You have to login first to see this stats.