Build an Atom by PHET
- Parent Category: 02 Atomic Structure and Stoichiometry
- Category: 02 Formulae, Stoichiometry and the Mole Concept
- Created: Friday, 28 August 2015 13:30
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 01 September 2015 16:38
- Published: Friday, 28 August 2015 13:30
- Hits: 4355
- Atomic Structure
- Isotope Symbols
- Atomic Nuclei
Build an atom out of protons, neutrons, and electrons, and see how the element, charge, and mass change. Then play a game to test your ideas!
Sample Learning Goals
- Use the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons to draw a model of the atom, identify the element, and determine the mass and charge.
- Predict how addition or subtraction of a proton, neutron, or electron will change the element, the charge, and the mass.
- Use the element name, mass, and charge to determine the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons.
- Define proton, neutron, electron, atom, and ion.
- Generate an isotopic symbol for an atom, given the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons.
Design TeamThird-party LibrariesThanks To
- Kelly Lancaster (lead)
- John Blanco (developer)
- Sam Reid (developer)
- Jack Barbera
- Suzanne Brahmia
- Julia Chamberlain
- Yuen-ying Carpenter
- Patricia Loeblein
- Emily B. Moore
- Robert Parson
- Ariel Paul
- Kathy Perkins
- Sharon Siman-Tov
- Royal Society of Chemistry