States of Matter by PHET HTML5 version
- Parent Category: 02 Atomic Structure and Stoichiometry
- Category: 01 The Particulate Nature of Matter
- Created: Friday, 28 August 2015 10:37
- Last Updated: Thursday, 30 January 2020 08:25
- Published: Friday, 28 August 2015 10:37
- Hits: 6047
- Atomic Bonding
- Interaction Potential
Watch different types of molecules form a solid, liquid, or gas. Add or remove heat and watch the phase change. Change the temperature or volume of a container and see a pressure-temperature diagram respond in real time. Relate the interaction potential to the forces between molecules.
Sample Learning Goals
- Describe a molecular model for solids, liquids, and gases.
- Extend this model to phase changes.
- Describe how heating or cooling changes the behavior of the molecules.
- Describe how changing the volume can affect temperature, pressure, and state.
- Relate a pressure-temperature diagram to the behavior of molecules.
- Interpret graphs of interatomic potential.
- Describe how forces on atoms relate to the interaction potential.
- Describe the physical meaning of the parameters in the Lennard-Jones potential, and how this relates to the molecule behavior.
need some CSI worksheerts?
The new HTML5 sims can run on iPads and Chromebooks, as well as PC, Mac, and Linux systems.
iOS 12+ Safari
iPad compatible sims
Not officially supported. If you are using the HTML5 sims on Android, we recommend using the latest version of Google Chrome.
Latest version of Google Chrome
The HTML5 and Flash PhET sims are supported on all Chromebooks.
Chromebook compatible sims
Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11, latest version of Firefox, latest version of Google Chrome.
macOS 10.9.5+, Safari 9+, latest version of Chrome.
|Design Team||Third-party Libraries||Thanks To|