- Parent Category: 02 Newtonian Mechanics
- Category: 09 Oscillations
- Created: Thursday, 20 August 2015 15:00
- Last Updated: Thursday, 25 May 2017 15:44
- Published: Sunday, 24 April 2016 15:00
- Hits: 5462
1.2 Definitions, equations and graphs
1.2.1 Definition of Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM): LO (d)
A motion where the acceleration a of an object is always directed towards a fixed point ( the equilibrium position O ) and proportional to its displacement x from the fixed point is said to be be simple harmonic.
Defining equation of SHM
a = - ω2 x
Observe from the model or the animation, suggest the reason for the negative sign.
The negative sign means a is always directed towards the equilibrium point while x is pointing away from equilibrium point O.
In other words a and x are in the opposite direction.
|with best with||Chrome||Chrome||Chrome||Chrome|
|support full-screen?||Yes. Chrome/Opera No. Firefox/ Samsung Internet||Not yet||Yes||Yes|